Childhood lead poisoning has been called “the most common environmental disease of young children” (CDC, 1991a). When lead enters the blood stream, the toxic substance can have harmful effects on the developing brain of a child. While most children will have no symptoms when they have lead poisoning, low levels of lead can cause learning disabilities, hyperactivity and behavioral problems. High levels can lead to coma, convulsions and even death.
Sources of lead poisoning include:
- Old painted surfaces, paint chips and dust
- Bare soil along drip lines of homes
- Antique artifacts with lead-based paint
- Certain occupations/hobbies dealing with paint (pottery, auto repair, etc.)
- Contaminated drinking water
- Certain folk or home remedies, cosmetics, toys and jewelry
- Remodeling of older homes containing lead-based paint
- Foreign-manufactured products
- Occupations dealing with lead
- Cigarettes and cigarette smoke
Children become poisoned after inhaling lead particles or frequent hand-to-mouth activity. Since symptoms rarely show, the only way to confirm if a child has lead poisoning is through a blood test. Children six years old and younger are at greatest risk for lead poisoning and should be tested. Testing is mandatory at 12 and 24 months for all Medicaid recipients, children residing in high-risk ZIP code areas and children with any additional risk factors. A parent or guardian must be present for consent.
For information regarding lead in Springfield, Ohio, please follow this link:https://springfieldohio.gov/springfield-services/water-utility/lead-drinking-water/
Testing is also recommended for pregnant females as lead can be transferred from mother to unborn baby.
Schedule a Lead Screening
The Clark County Combined Health District has an analyzer on site and at our WIC location. Having an analyzers on site makes it possible for us to test children, as well as other at-risk persons, for lead poisoning.
The test takes only three minutes from fingertip to result! Children do very well with this testing, as it requires only a very tiny finger stick and a few drops of blood. Parents are delighted to know they will have their child’s result in only three minutes, instead of waiting several days for a report to come from a laboratory or a doctor’s office.
CCCHD will bill Medicaid HMO’s for this service. Accepted forms of payment are cash or check (we can now also take credit and debit cards with a small fee for use) for non-Medicaid clients. The charge for the test is $20, however, no one will be turned away for inability to pay.
Testing is both quick and reliable and can be done at the CCCHD Monday through Friday by appointment only. For appointments and information, pleae call 390-5600 ext. 284 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
last reviewed 6-8-18 CAW/ PLF